You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

New Apple Account scheme (vs. Apple ID) suddenly renders Apple tv 2nd generation unusable

I have a 2nd generation Apple TV that worked fine, until the new Apple Account scheme was unveiled. Due to hurricanes, I had no power for 5 days, and no internet for 10 days. As part of troubleshooting, I signed out on my Apple TV. I tried to sign back in and the Apple ID / Password are no longer recognized.

I spent an hour online with Apple support and was told that, because of the act of signing out, I would never be able to sign back in on my Apple TV, because the new Apple Account scheme is now in effect, and not supported on my obsolete device. So, a perfectly good device has been rendered unusable by a change in the Apple user authentication scheme.

I was told I could take the unit into a repair facility to see if there is anything they can do, at my own expense, but was not given any indication if it is even possible to make the "obsolete" Apple TV work again.

This is a classic example of why many are becoming disenchanted with the Apple ecosystem.

Apple TV 2

Posted on Oct 21, 2024 2:33 PM

2 replies

New Apple Account scheme (vs. Apple ID) suddenly renders Apple tv 2nd generation unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.