You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Pesky winmail.dat Issue

I have one client that uses Outlook and whenever she sends me an email with an attachment (or attachments), it comes as a winmail.dat (Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format) file that I have to open using a third-party app (TNEF's Enough).

I have over had many, many clients over the years who use Outlook and this is the only one with which I have this issue.

Conversely, she sends emails to users all over the world who use both Windows and MacOS, and I am the only recipient that has reported this issue.

I have researched the problem and found several explanations that attribute the issue to Rich Text Format settings in Outlook, but that has been explored and ruled out. Since this is a client with their own managed IT department, there's a limit to what I can request from their end, but I have been assured that this an edge case as far as they are concerned.

This happens on both the desktop and iOS versions of Apple Mail (attached):

It does not happen with the browser or IOS version of Gmail (also attached):

That tells me that it is indeed not an issue on the client's side.

This issue has come up several times before in this forum (winmail.dat - any way to fix this issue f… - Apple Community) and there never seems to be any resolution other than instructions on how to use a third party app to open the attachment.

Can someone please help me get to the bottom of this?

Thanks in advance.

Mac Studio, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 21, 2024 2:04 PM

2 replies

Pesky winmail.dat Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.