You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

There is NO PATH from Final Cut Pro to DVD/BlueRay with 5.1 surround!!!!

Thanks to the dunderheads at Apple, they've now removed the function to export to a disc image, along with the full range of audio formats, like 5.1. Their "fix" is to export to a ProRes file then use Toast...which doesn't recognize multichannel audio beyond 2.0. We used to be able to export a disc image, and burn them to DVD from othe finder. Nope. Can't export the image anymore. Why the heck not? Did that improve something?

I know Apple thinks "nobody uses disc anymore", but I beg to differ, and so do my clients and so does my business model. I'm still burning DVDs in a duplicator all the time, it's what they want and will pay for. There is NO ALTERNATIVE if you want to sell a program. Online paywall streaming for small creators is a complete non-starter. Free distribution via YT is not an option. Handing somebody a USB stick with a fine on it is of no use, they don't know what to do with it. The can, however, pop a disc in an old DVD player.

Yes, there are segments and groups that don't have disc players, we see that too, but so far, the DVD is still the lowest denominator, and pretty useful, if not demanded.

So thanks, Apple, for screwing things up again. Eliminating a useful function is NOT an improvement.

For context, I've been cutting in FCP since 2002, and 99.9% of my exported projects to clients have been on DVD. I now have a 2023 MacBook Pro and almost the latest OS. I don't update to the latest OS until it has matured, but there are often downgrades or sidegrades that force app updates, and those are not universal improvements. And this case is proof positive of that.

What harm could there be in the function of exporting a disc image, DVD or BD, from FCP? Don't know, but there sure is harm in eliminating the function.

If I'm missing a solution here, let me know.

Posted on Oct 21, 2024 10:18 AM

3 replies

Oct 21, 2024 3:24 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Nice idea, but no. My last version was 10.6.6 (limited by older hardware and older OS) and while I did restore that from a TM backup (suprising), once the project has been created or opened by 10.8, it can't be opened by a previous version. I don't know about 10.7, but I don't have a copy, so I'm pretty much done.

I'm still at "Apple makes presumptuous choices that mess up the user experience." Pretty solid on that.

There is NO PATH from Final Cut Pro to DVD/BlueRay with 5.1 surround!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.