You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Narcoleptic 2019 iMac Won't Stop Sleeping

Hello, I have a 2019 iMac that has always struck me as a bit of a lemon. When I got it, the hard drive was so blisteringly slow that I bought an external drive and made that my boot drive instead. Problem solved! Now, 5 years later, my computer falls asleep shortly after reboot. About 20-30 minutes after restart, the iMac will start falling asleep every 15 seconds. Yes, I counted. I must complete whatever task is necessary in those 15 seconds. Then, boom. Screen is dark, and it takes a while to wake it up again for another 15 seconds of work time.

Obviously this is breaking me. I closed all software to minimum, have reloaded/updated system. Done the reset thing where it beeps a few times and restarts itself. It seems like a software issue, but I can't figure it out.

Hardware seems fine. It's not the sleep setting. I can be typing or moving the mouse; it still falls asleep. Anyone else familiar with this?

Kathrine

iMac 21.5″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 21, 2024 6:40 AM

There are no replies.

Narcoleptic 2019 iMac Won't Stop Sleeping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.