You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to get rid of insane system data storage

I noticed some days ago I was running out of memory without having done anything significant.

I ran the diagnostigs in storage and saw an enormous amount of data that I don't know where is coming from.

I've seen several posts but no one is giving clear and real solution to this problem.

What I got so far:

• Don't install Clean my Mac (is allegedly malware)
  • The problem is not the cache, I have 10GB there.

How can I have a 40% of my 1TB hard disk filled with system data??

Any help about how to solve it would be much appreciated.

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Air, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 21, 2024 3:53 AM

1 reply

Oct 21, 2024 4:04 AM in response to BraveStudio

System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. 

To get a more realistic view of Used versus Free space on this computer

Use Disk Utilities

Then we notice " Other Users & Shared = 10.56 GB "

Has there been a User Account that has since been Removed but the User Account Folder was Not Removed

1. Do one of the following:
    • Save the home folder as a disk image: Select “Save the home folder in a disk image.” This archives all the user’s documents and information so the user can be restored later if needed. The disk image is saved in /Users/Deleted Users/.
    • Leave the user’s home folder as is: Select “Don’t change the home folder.” The user’s documents and information remain and the user can be restored later if needed. The home folder remains in /Users/.
    • Remove the user’s home folder from the computer: Select “Delete the home folder.” The user information is deleted and the storage space is freed.
  • Delete a sharing-only user or a group: Click OK.
    • A sharing-only user doesn’t have a home folder.
  1. Click Delete User.

How to get rid of insane system data storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.