You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Why won't my printer connect to Mac after Monterey upgrade?

Upgraded my MAC to Monterey, and now my Brother MFC-L2740DW printer wont connect. Both Mac and printer show good wireless connection, and printer allows me to select the correct wifi. I used to airprint from both my MAC and my iphone, and now cant do either. System preferences lets me select the printer, but says it is unable to communicate with the printer. iPhone defaults to “no printer selected” after trying to connect to selected printer. Have tried connecting them with a cable, but no luck there either. Any help would be appreciated!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Oct 20, 2024 10:34 PM

7 replies

Oct 21, 2024 12:58 PM in response to LMC53

>Have tried connecting them with a cable, but no luck there either.

Just one question. Does this mean that you have tried to (temporarily) connect the Brother MFC-L2740DW by Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports of the Wi-Fi router? That would be a good way of ruling out a Wi-Fi printer-to-router problem (for example, a connection to another Wi-Fi network, as mentioned by John Galt). Also, modern dual-band routers often have an alleged "smart" way of discovering devices and selecting Wi-Fi bands, a way that sometimes may lead to difficulties.

AirPrint works with wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections.

Oct 21, 2024 11:33 AM in response to LMC53

When AirPrint doesn't work, restarting all the affected devices is the gold standard of troubleshooting. The wireless network is an integral part of the communications chain, so restarting it generally fixes things.

On the Mac, removing the printer from Printers & Scanners and adding it again would also be applicable, but there is no functional equivalent for the iPhone.

If the printer isn't there... it simply isn't there as far as the iPhone is concerned.

At this point it seems questionable whether the printer has joined the same wireless network as the other devices. Does that Brother printer have a front panel display that shows it's connected?

Why won't my printer connect to Mac after Monterey upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.