You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

What are the best Apple-approved duplicate file fleaners for Mac?

Is CleanMyMac safe to use on my MacBook Pro? If not is there an apple approved app that gets rid of duplicate files? What about Gemini 2 - is that a better choice? How do I know it won't delete duplicates where the file name has been changed?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Oct 20, 2024 9:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2024 11:06 PM

Yayaal wrote:

Is CleanMyMac safe to use on my MacBook Pro?

No.

Do not use any 3rd party virus apps (Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, Intego, MacAfee, Norton, Kaspersky, ESET NOD32, Trusteer, PC Matic etc) or 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" apps (CleanMyMac, MacKeeper etc). They produce obscure errors and corruption and are not needed. macOS takes care of those things itself.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 20, 2024 11:06 PM in response to Yayaal

Yayaal wrote:

Is CleanMyMac safe to use on my MacBook Pro?

No.

Do not use any 3rd party virus apps (Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, Intego, MacAfee, Norton, Kaspersky, ESET NOD32, Trusteer, PC Matic etc) or 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" apps (CleanMyMac, MacKeeper etc). They produce obscure errors and corruption and are not needed. macOS takes care of those things itself.

Oct 21, 2024 1:19 AM in response to Yayaal

Yayaal wrote:

When you say "macOS takes care of those things itself" what do you mean?

I meant that macOS takes care of viruses and regular maintenance by itself. 3rd part anti-virus and "cleaner" apps cause nothing but trouble.

Duplicate files is a different matter. Photos.app has built-in duplicate detector and there are 3rd party pretty good alternatives as well. But I would not trust automatic duplicate deletion so even then I'd manually accept the results.

Duplicate photos and files outside Photos might need some sleuthing. Maybe a 3rd party app like Find Any File etc, but I have not used those because I try to manually keep the duplicates in control.

Oct 20, 2024 11:52 PM in response to Matti Haveri

Thank you for your reply. When you say "macOS takes care of those things itself" what do you mean? I have so many duplicate files, docs and pdfs that I did not create. How and when does macOS take care of this? I am a mac user since laptops became popular in approx 2000, and I have never found mac to take care of this on it's own. Thank you for any suggestions.

Oct 20, 2024 11:57 PM in response to BilalAjnaz

I do use an external drive, but I do not delete the files after I have run a back up. I use the external hard drive as a safety measure. I do not know what files I may need in the future so I do not remove anything from the internal hard drive itself. I'm sure this is not the best use of the external hard drive. I suppose I could remove files one by one from my MacBook's Hard Drive but this seems so tedious since I have years and years of docs, pdfs, mp3s, etc. If you have any suggestions on how to do this without spending years of my life trying to clean up my mess, I would be open to hearing them!

What are the best Apple-approved duplicate file fleaners for Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.