You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Sharing Folder Exposes File System to Linux Computer

I would like to share a project folder between my macOS and another Linux computer on my local network, but when I do it exposes my entire file system to the Linux computer, with read/write access.

I followed all the steps in setting up a shared folder, starting in macOS. Please read carefully to understand what options I enabled and disabled:

• File Sharing: On.
  • Allow full disk access for all user: Off.
  • Shared Folders: Removed everything but the one folder I want to share.
  • Shared Folder Users: User - RW, Staff - R, Everyone - No Access.
  • Shared Folder Ctrl click: Guests off, SMB Encrypted on, Time Machine off, Limit backups off.
  • Shared Folders Options ... : SMB File Sharing - on, Windows File Sharing - On (Selected myself as user)

Even though full disk access for all users is disabled and only the one shared folder is specified in the Shared Folders menu, the entire macOS disk is mountable by means of:

Linux

• File manager (like Finder).
  • Network.
  • Visible in Network is [myuser].Mac.mini.
  • Visible in [myuser].Mac.mini is [user], Macintosh HD and Shared Folder
  • Click on any of those, they mount and allow me to:
  • [user] - rwx
  • Macintosh HD | Root system rx | User directory rwx.
  • Shared Folder rwx.

What option am I missing? I really only want the Shared Folder specified in macOS to be mountable for shared rwx permissions on the Linux system and nothing else.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Mac mini, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 20, 2024 1:52 PM

3 replies

Oct 21, 2024 10:26 AM in response to iAye

The first is by design.The second is a problem that cropped up in Sequoia, and you should report it through Feedback.

For added info for the feedback, there is now a on off switch for allowing all sharing users full disc access. From what I can tell, you must have that on for sharing only users to access anything, and thus they can access everything.

Oct 20, 2024 3:55 PM in response to iAye

First off, it is now broken.

Second,File Sharing is somewhat of a misnomer. It’s really remote login. If you login with an account on that Mac, you will have all the access that you would if you log directly in.To make it only share certain folders, you have to set up, sharing only users and give them specific access. However, as of Sequoia 15.1, You can’t limit the access.

Sharing Folder Exposes File System to Linux Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.