You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

my child purchased something without permission. I have not been refunded

Hi There,

My child purchased £92 worth of in app game items without my permission. This is the first time it has happened. normally requests buy is ON. But I removed it as I said yes to one in-app gaming item and forgot to put it back on.

I requested a refund. Apple said no so I appealed it and asked again. Apple gave me credit for one £4.99 item but said the rest was not eligible for a refund.

1. Why is one item refunded and the rest not eligible.
  2. How can I contact Apple to question this
  3. I understand I didn't successful put purchase to buy back on but it was an honest mistake and £92 for skins and gems makes me feel ill. How can I continue to request a refund?

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 20, 2024 9:18 AM

5 replies

Oct 20, 2024 9:32 AM in response to GemmaBubbles

In most cases All Transactions are Final in the App Store. In some cases Apple may provide a compassionate refund and they appeared to do that on one item, but any refund should never be expected.

There is no need to remove the Ask To Buy option when granting a request for a purchase. You will be given the notification to approve each item without having to shut it off.

You can also choose to require a password for purchases where only you would be able to approve the purchase by entering a password.

Require a password for purchases in the App Store and other Apple services - Apple Support

Oct 20, 2024 9:26 AM in response to GemmaBubbles

You're lucky you got the £4.99 back.

They can't know you didn't make the purchase for your child, and then are simply trying to claw back the purchase amount.

Think about it. If everything was that easily refundable, just about every purchase would be challenged by the user as "someone else did it", or "I accidentally purchased an app". All for the purpose of trying to get something for nothing.

my child purchased something without permission. I have not been refunded

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.