You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Time Machine back up to another Mac external drive

I have two up-to-date Macs - a laptop and an iMac both on the same network. How can I set up the laptop so it automatically use a dedicated external drive of the iMac for its Time Machine backups? All I can find online is how to use another computers hard drive for Time Machine Backups. TIA

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 20, 2024 7:47 AM

4 replies

Oct 21, 2024 2:07 PM in response to Barney-15E

i have already tried this. These instructions are for a “folder” on a hard drive like another Mac -it would work if you could place a folder on a Time Machine back up drive. My Mac external hard drive has been initialized as a Time Machine backup and does not show up as a “folder” and you cannot add a folder to a Time Machine backup volume. As a result you are dead in the water. I contacted Apple and they actually gave me the same instructions and then when we walked through it following the instructions- we both realized there’s no folder on an initialized Time Machine back up drive you can’t follow the instructions any further because of this.

Time Machine back up to another Mac external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.