You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

My MacBook Pro reboot periodically after an update to 13.7

Hi,

I am a bit in panic.

My MacBook 4-5years old was powered. Then I get a black screen with text and it reboot.

When it rebooted, I decided to update the OS and I update it from 13.6 to 13.7.

During the process, I used my MacBook Pro and sudently it reboot.

The problem is as soon as the Apple appear and the bar started, it reboot. And so, as a loop.

I tried to boot in safe mode by holding the power bouton. And then I also tried to press and release the power button and hold the shift button without success.

I can do commad+R and I check the two disk Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD-data. It did not reported an error.

What should I do?

Should I reinstall my OS (Recovery with command+R)?

Does it will preserve the data?

What's the difference between Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD-data?

Does Macintosh HD contain the OS and Macintosh HD-data contain /Home/users/?

many thanks for your suggestion and help.

Have a good evening.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 3:19 PM

7 replies

Oct 20, 2024 1:27 PM in response to pierrot-la-lune

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

That may work if there's some 3rd party software that is causing the problem.

Oct 20, 2024 9:47 AM in response to pierrot-la-lune

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Please download and run Etrecheck.  The free version is sufficient.

Copy the report as shown in this animated screenshot

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Oct 20, 2024 1:44 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your help.

I tried it. The problem is when I press and release the power button and I immediately press the left shift button, the Apple logo appear and the MacBook restart. Even if I keep the shift down, it restart and restart.

I tried to reinstall the OS with command+R and when the process restarted the MacBook Pro, I get the same experience: as soon as the apple logo appear, it restart 1 sec after, and so and so...

Now, when I press and release the power button and keeping the option button down, I can see Macintosh-Data and macOS Installer, only...

If I select my WiFi and I click on macOS Installer, the process start and reboot, reboot, reboot...

I wonder, if I have an hardware problem or if I should try to do command+R then disk utility to delete Macinthoch and reinstall my OS. But I am afraid to loss data.

My MacBook Pro reboot periodically after an update to 13.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.