You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

What is sociallayerd and why do I have control over something with no explanation

My iCloud is full and I have numerous issues between my devices, so I am changing settings to try to resolve problems. I am finding the option delete items and to toggle things off and on but cannot find any explanation as to what they are for, what they mean, what the consequences are or how the items are created in the first place. For example - and no need to answer this now just making my point - I have 3 copies of iMovie on the cloud of very different sizes. If I delete them, can I still use the app? Will my created videos still be playable? What happens to a video if I delete the "raw" or the project? I have so many projects but what does that mean after a movie is "published" and saved on my HD?

Another example AND THIS IS THE QUESTION is regarding sociallayerd access to cloud. I have it turned off, because like I said I am out of cloud space.

• Is this causing any issues?
  • Is it essential?
  • Will putting that back on take up iCloud space?

If it is taking space-- and is essential--

• why do you have users paying to store essential aspects of the operating system?

( But I guess that goes with my previous issues regarding the apps that are in the cloud, not in the cloud, take up MG of space but not in the cloud or on my devices- see my other posts, and this also is a shout out to lonebirdman who posed the question and got an equally cryptic and ridiculous answer as is the accessibility of key functions named SOCIAL LAYER (?!). in users hands, thanks Barney. )

sociallayerd – Vends privacy-sensitive social UI for display throughout the system

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 12:52 PM

There are no replies.

What is sociallayerd and why do I have control over something with no explanation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.