You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to locate a specific photo by date copied on external hard drive.

I have a about 23K photos that are copied to my external hard drive. These photos or organized in files by location, type etc.. I need to find a specific photo by its date of origin. Any ideas?

Mac mini, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 11:25 AM

1 reply

Oct 20, 2024 8:38 AM in response to dwaters33

You're not using Photos, is that right? (I ask, because this is the discussion group for the Photos app.)

You can use Finder to hunt for a picture with a particular creation date:

Here, I'm searching This Mac (rather than another drive or a specific folder) for files with a name that includes .jpg and with a certain creation date. The + sign is used to add more attributes. You could, for instance, use just a "." for the search field, and add "Kind is Image" to include other image file types.

Since Finder is a File Manager, the search is for the creation date of the file, not necessarily the date the picture was taken. In the Photos app, an Image Manager, we can search by the date taken, but that's just for the pictures in the Photos Library. In Photos you can also search for objects, like cat or John or waterfall, etc.

How to locate a specific photo by date copied on external hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.