You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Finder Issue – Unable to Expand Folders (with Subfolders) Using Arrow Keys In ~/Downloads Directory

I typically navigate folders in Finder using keyboard arrow keys. For directories that have subfolders, I can navigate to the folder name and press the right-arrow key. This expands the folder. Press left arrow key to collapse it. (It's a convenient look inside the folder). This action does not seem to work in my ~/Downloads folder. In all other locations in Finder, there is a '>' character before the folder name (in List view) in Finder. But not for folders in the ~/Downloads folder.

Does anybody know what the (bizarre) reason is for this? Or, is this yet another bug?

(I do nothing but file macOS bug reports these days and boot into Safe Mode.)

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 11:07 AM

4 replies

Oct 20, 2024 4:55 AM in response to petelingo

petelingo wrote:

I typically navigate folders in Finder using keyboard arrow keys. For directories that have subfolders, I can navigate to the folder name and press the right-arrow key. This expands the folder. Press left arrow key to collapse it. (It's a convenient look inside the folder). This action does not seem to work in my ~/Downloads folder. In all other locations in Finder, there is a '>' character before the folder name (in List view) in Finder. But not for folders in the ~/Downloads folder.

Does anybody know what the (bizarre) reason is for this? Or, is this yet another bug?

(I do nothing but file macOS bug reports these days and boot into Safe Mode.)

Do you have the Downloads folder Grouped by something, maybe when trying to set the sort. Groupin in List View removes the Disclosure triangles

Oct 20, 2024 5:30 AM in response to Barney-15E

@Barney-15E, take a bow. Like a supreme archer, you twanged and hit the bullseye with your first attempt.

I've never been a grouper. (Shocking admission: Until I encountered this problem, I didn't even know what it did.)

There is some odd behaviour going on though because 'Use Groups' was somehow enabled in Finder>View, but the only difference was the missing '>' and inability to use arrow keys. It looked identical to List view with 'Use Groups' unchecked. Then I toggled 'Use Groups' off and back on again a few times. It seems to have blown the cobwebs off, because now I see content grouped by type.

I can see how it might be useful. I'll try it.

Thanks again!

PS. Another day on Sequoia, another quirk.

Finder Issue – Unable to Expand Folders (with Subfolders) Using Arrow Keys In ~/Downloads Directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.