You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Duplicate photos on my IPhone says 2355 and on my Mac say 1164 (last week I imported a lot of photos via my Mac) but why such a difference?

All devices are on the latest OS’s and all devices are using ICloud. As an addition my iPad shows 2304 duplicates?

iPad mini 5, iPadOS 17

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 3:55 AM

2 replies

Oct 19, 2024 4:05 AM in response to JWB984

The duplicate detection is running on each device locally. It does not sync between the devices. Each device is running the duplicate detection over night, when you are not using it, and when it is fully charged. Your Mac may not yet have finished the scan for duplicates. It takes a very long time, because Photos is looking for similar photos, not just exact duplicates, so it needs to compare what the photos are showing, not just the file attributes. Your Mac is showing the detected duplicates on the go, is showing the detected duplicates it has already found while it is searching for more. You may want to start removing duplicates that are already shown. Over time the Mac will show you more.

Duplicate photos on my IPhone says 2355 and on my Mac say 1164 (last week I imported a lot of photos via my Mac) but why such a difference?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.