You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

shortcut app 5d sort into subdirectories

I'm trying to write a quick shortcut to

1. copy images on an EOS external media drive onto my local drive, creating an appropriate subdirectory (folder) in a designated directory
  2. autosort said images into subdirectories based on extension

I'm struggling to understand how to execute this with the app. I can write this in irix/unix, but am not understanding how to accomplish this simple task in the Shortcuts app

is there a step by step tutorial that can lead me by the hand so I grasp how this works?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Oct 18, 2024 10:57 AM

1 reply

Oct 19, 2024 3:06 AM in response to queenofspades

Apple's Image Capture application preserves the EXIF DateTimeOriginal in the image creation date when viewed in the Finder, and any other means of writing files to the UNIX filesystem result in the operating system stamping them with the current date/time of filesystem copy.

If it is important to you that the files bear the EXIF DateTimeOriginal creation date, then you might consider using Image Capture to get them to an intermediate folder location. Then, run the Shortcut from that folder location to copy or move the files to their extension-based sub-folder location. This will not change their creation date.

What does that final extension-based folder hierarchy look like?

shortcut app 5d sort into subdirectories

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.