You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Turquoise Shadow on Night Photo of Moon iPhone 14 Pro

I have been taking photos of moons for years with my iPhone. Some great and many lousy. Last night's photos of a full moon showed a turquoise shadow below the moon which I've never had before. I need to take an Apple class on photos if they have one. Any thoughts on what this shadow is?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 18, 2024 3:49 AM

1 reply

Oct 18, 2024 8:16 AM in response to isj1

Notice that it is exactly opposite the moon, like in a mirror. This is a pretty neat example of internal reflections in the camera lens. Just as you can see your reflection when you pass a shop window when it's dark inside, at every surface of glass about 5% of the light reflects back. With multiple lenses, 5% of the reflected light then bounces off the next surface, and so on. For normal lighting, 5% of 5% of 5% of 5% (perhaps 1/160,000th) of the light just isn't enough for anybody to see in the picture. In fact, it's even less because the lenses are coated to make the reflection way less than for ordinary glass. But when there is a big super bright light, the reflection shows up. The lens coatings can't work equally well at all wavelengths, so one color (in this case cyan) dominates.

You see this same thing in pictures are concerts where there are super bright spot lights on the singer. It happens with any camera when there is a bright light.

Turquoise Shadow on Night Photo of Moon iPhone 14 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.