You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Long Photo files names synced from Mac

I sync photos from my Mac to Iphone/Ipad using finder.

The files names for photos is as it was from my camera or iPhone whatever the source name was.

Once synced the file name translated to some long list of numbers and letters. look like some hexadecimal code. Same issue for all my photos whatever source or how old they are.

Why is that? Can I change it?

Makes searching a photo by filename impossible (if in fact that is still possible). Or even if you are viewing the same photo if they are similar.

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 10:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2024 12:48 AM

Since macOS 10.15 Catalina the Photos.app is renaming our files on import with long, unique filenames. See: How Photos 5.0 on Catalina Manages original Files and Filenames

In the Info we are still seeing the original filenames, and when we export images from Photos the original filenames will be restored, but internally the files are stored with their new names.

When we sync images manually to the iPhone or iPad using the Finder, Photos is creating new, optimized versions for syncing. I have not tested this on iOS 18 and Sequoia, but Photos seems now to be using the new, unique internal names for the synced versions. It would not help to switch from the manual syncing to iCloud Photos. I cannot search for filenames in Photos iOS either since upgrading to iOS 18. I can only find photos by the filename, when I copy the filename to the caption (when syncing with iCloud Photos).

To fix this, you could export the photos you want to sync to your devices from Photos to a a folder in your Pictures folder, using the original filenames as the filename and then sync them from this folder. Are you then seeing the original filenames on your iPad/iPhone in Photos?

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 18, 2024 12:48 AM in response to Cromiriark

Since macOS 10.15 Catalina the Photos.app is renaming our files on import with long, unique filenames. See: How Photos 5.0 on Catalina Manages original Files and Filenames

In the Info we are still seeing the original filenames, and when we export images from Photos the original filenames will be restored, but internally the files are stored with their new names.

When we sync images manually to the iPhone or iPad using the Finder, Photos is creating new, optimized versions for syncing. I have not tested this on iOS 18 and Sequoia, but Photos seems now to be using the new, unique internal names for the synced versions. It would not help to switch from the manual syncing to iCloud Photos. I cannot search for filenames in Photos iOS either since upgrading to iOS 18. I can only find photos by the filename, when I copy the filename to the caption (when syncing with iCloud Photos).

To fix this, you could export the photos you want to sync to your devices from Photos to a a folder in your Pictures folder, using the original filenames as the filename and then sync them from this folder. Are you then seeing the original filenames on your iPad/iPhone in Photos?

Long Photo files names synced from Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.