You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How do I individually adjust the width of columns in a bar graph in Numbers on my MacBook Air?

I've been trying to individually adjust the width of columns in a bar graph in Numbers, but I just can't figure out how to. I can adjust all the columns collectively, but not individually. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you

My Mac is on Sequoia 15.0.1

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 8:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 9:40 AM

I am still curious what "amplitude" is. The only reference I've seen to "amplitude" with regards to histograms is the distance between the highest two bars but that doesn't make sense here. Is it the difference between the highest and lowest value within the interval?

I'm not exactly sure what these charts you are talking about look like. The closest I think can be made in Numbers is square waves made with a scatter plot, which is the only way I can think of making variable width "bars". An incomplete mockup (just enough to show the "bars", ignore the X axis) is below. I don't have a way to fill in the "bars" though. Another way might use error bars instead of so many data points. It will require some formulas to make the chart data from the histogram data.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2024 9:40 AM in response to blackstallionstudios

I am still curious what "amplitude" is. The only reference I've seen to "amplitude" with regards to histograms is the distance between the highest two bars but that doesn't make sense here. Is it the difference between the highest and lowest value within the interval?

I'm not exactly sure what these charts you are talking about look like. The closest I think can be made in Numbers is square waves made with a scatter plot, which is the only way I can think of making variable width "bars". An incomplete mockup (just enough to show the "bars", ignore the X axis) is below. I don't have a way to fill in the "bars" though. Another way might use error bars instead of so many data points. It will require some formulas to make the chart data from the histogram data.

Oct 18, 2024 7:07 AM in response to SGIII

Thank you for your time 😊

I have been trying to adjust the individual width of the columns in order to create a special type of histogram, where the width of the columns reflects the amplitude of an interval.

For example, one column is twenty high and 0-20 wide; while another is thirty high and 20-40 high.

My high school statistics course uses such graphs; however, I didn't realize that Numbers doesn't have that function.

Thank you once again

How do I individually adjust the width of columns in a bar graph in Numbers on my MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.