You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Where did all the folders on my desktop go and how can I get them back?

I must have hit a key accidentally or something and now NOTHING is on my desktop. All the folders I had neatly on it are gone. Well, they aren't gone. I went to my finder in the dock and opened it and clicked on a folder labeled "Desktop" and I can see all the stuff that is SUPPOSED to be on my desktop but when I try to PUT select them and put them back on the actual desktop they bounce right back to the folder. How can I fix this?

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 2:37 PM

2 replies

Oct 18, 2024 7:05 AM in response to neuroanatomist

Yes....a couple of times. But I finally figured it out, kinda. I say kinda because I'm not quite sure what I did that was right, but it was definitely some setting I must have accidentally set. I think it has to do with a setting called "stage manager", which I have never used. Anyway, I think unsetting that fixed it. I am going to go back to that and figure it out eventually. But for now, I'm just glad I got all my folders back where they belong. -- Thanks.

Where did all the folders on my desktop go and how can I get them back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.