You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Kernel Panics MacBook Air M1 2020 with boot problems

My Macbook is not booting properly. The system regularly says there are problems. I have a bug report that I would like to attach. Maybe someone can help me. Thank you very much.

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 2:24 PM

2 replies

Oct 18, 2024 9:11 AM in response to bingbong13

That appears to be a hardware issue most likely with the Logic Board. I hope you have good backups.

You will need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate. Unfortunately unless this issue is easily reproducible, then you may find it a bit tricky getting Apple to repair the laptop since front line Apple techs usually don't know how to read Kernel Panic logs. If you have issues getting Apple to repair the laptop, then have them escalate the issue so someone at Apple can actually examine & interpret the Kernel Panic logs.

I would recommend saving all the Kernel Panic logs so you have them for reference since Apple will want to completely erase the laptop probably by using DFU firmware Restore. Kernel Panic logs are located in "/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports" folder plus you may find some in the "Retired" subfolder as well. Kernel Panic logs usually have "kernel" and/or "panic" in their file names.

FYI, if you can reproduce the problem with a clean install of macOS, then Apple will take that failure a lot more seriously and perform a repair.

Kernel Panics MacBook Air M1 2020 with boot problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.