You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

OWC Thunderbay 4 kernel panic and magenta screens on multiple Macs

I feel sure OWC knows exactly what is causing this. I tried multiple ports, rotated to each, on the various computers and on the enclosure to see if one was"bad" using brand new apple thunderbolt 2 cable, OWC cable, and third party cable. Panic; Shutdowns on each machine after a few minutes. Magenta screens at shutdown on the M2 Studio. Other users have reported the magenta screens with this issue with Thunderbay 4s. Is there an enclosure that is compatible with the M2 Studio that can accept 20 T drives? I do not use raid. I store small videos, photographs, publications, and audio.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac Studio, macOS 13.5

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 11:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 11:44 AM

This may well be a problem with those pieces of hardware, or maybe a bad cable, firmware or software. It is virtually impossible for a user like us to offer more than conjectures.

All I can say is that OWC is a long time (decades) hardware provider of devices committed to the Mac and Mac users, and has a good reputation.

You should contact their support, hopefully they can offer some guidance, perhaps, if this is something on their side, they have or are working in a firmware update, or something (see, I'm just conjecturing...).

Good luck and please report on any progress on this.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 17, 2024 11:44 AM in response to k155

This may well be a problem with those pieces of hardware, or maybe a bad cable, firmware or software. It is virtually impossible for a user like us to offer more than conjectures.

All I can say is that OWC is a long time (decades) hardware provider of devices committed to the Mac and Mac users, and has a good reputation.

You should contact their support, hopefully they can offer some guidance, perhaps, if this is something on their side, they have or are working in a firmware update, or something (see, I'm just conjecturing...).

Good luck and please report on any progress on this.

Oct 18, 2024 11:58 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you, Luis. I contacted OWC first and they knew about the magenta screens but refused to explain why multiple users have experienced that on quit. I tried 4 cables including brand new apple thunderbolt 2 and three, then four different macs, each time rotating through the ports to see if one port worked when another didn't . I have purchased many devices from OWC, but I have not experienced great customer support from them. I have seen many users describe similar problems. I am buying another enclosure from OWC but I don't trust that it will work. I wish I knew of other enclosures that are dependable for an M2 mac studio. I can't work if I can't access my files, so I have to find an enclosure that communicates. I suspected a port may have been bad, but when I changed it up and tried all over, no ports worked, so then I think it is something in the controller or the hardware of the enclosure that has failed. finder is not detecting the device so I can't hardware test. If I resolve this and really do find out what happened, I will report back. Thank you.

OWC Thunderbay 4 kernel panic and magenta screens on multiple Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.