You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Attach display port cable in mid 2010 IMac

I recently decided to replace my old hard drive with a SSD in my mid 2010 Imac. After watching a lot of you tube videos, I opened up the Imac and installed the SSD without any difficulty. However when I opened up the Imac the Display port cable came off by itself, something I did not intend to do. Now, despite watching every video I can find, I have been unable to reinsert the ribbon cable into its slot. My ribbon cable has a tab that is supposed to be moved when removing the cable. I would appreciate any advice on reinserting the dispay port cable

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 8:46 AM

5 replies

Oct 17, 2024 9:07 AM in response to jimfromva

Ah! The joys and hazards of DIY.

As I recall, reinstalling this ribbon can be a little tricky because it isn't especially long and the screen will be hovering within inches of the logic board as you do it. You might recruit an assistant with smaller hands to slip that cable back into the slot and close that tab.

Take a look at this guidance found at OWC/macsales.com.

Oct 21, 2024 12:22 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks,  I’m sure you are correct.  I noticed that you can buy replacement cables on ebay, which made me realize you can disconnect the cable at the lcd screen as well.  I did that and removed the whole lcd screen.  Now it should be easier for my fat hands the slip the cable into the board with that funky tab, and then attach the end at the screen near the end of reattaching the 4 cables and wires .  Its pretty easy to attach the data cable to the screen.  I ordered a new data cable just to make sure my cable is in good shape.

Attach display port cable in mid 2010 IMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.