You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Help please with Partitions.

Having an issue with my imac not recognising my Lacie ext HD. But on top of that unsoved issue, I find that my partitions (of which previously my Lacie was part of) now seem rather full. I don't know why, but can anyone explain what on earth is happening on my iMac?

iMac 24″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 2:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 3:26 PM

Buy a external SSD and start moving photos, music, documents, videos and anything that is taking up room on your Mac that apps and the OS doesn't need. If you only have a 500 GB internal drive then definitely buy a external SSD

8 replies

Oct 21, 2024 10:48 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

After reading lots of posts and replies I don’t trust any ext portable drives. My LaCie has just ceased working and less than a year old. One ext HD can’t be trusted so I’ll likely buy 2 different makes. I think I can save a clone? But on a dicey HD, may as well just use the 2 x HD’s. Others say they r cheap; but a 1 TB Seagate is £117 uk pounds. Not cheap to me. What do u think of the 2 x HD?

Oct 21, 2024 11:04 AM in response to barneyhairball

barneyhairball wrote:

After reading lots of posts and replies I don’t trust any ext portable drives. My LaCie has just ceased working and less than a year old. One ext HD can’t be trusted so I’ll likely buy 2 different makes. I think I can save a clone? But on a dicey HD, may as well just use the 2 x HD’s. Others say they r cheap; but a 1 TB Seagate is £117 uk pounds. Not cheap to me. What do u think of the 2 x HD?

External drives can fail at any time. This is why many backup strategies are based on the 3-2-1 rule.

Create three copies of your data — the original data on your primary device and at least two copies.

Use two different storage devices — it’s up to you to choose the two storage media carriers — your PC, external hard drive, external SSD drive, DVD, NAS or cloud storage devices.

Keep one of the backup copies off-site — keeping copies of your data in a remote location, prevents data loss due to a local disaster or a site-specific failure scenario.

Help please with Partitions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.