You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Unknown device added to iCloud account

Earlier today I noticed in my iCloud settings on my iPhone 15 Pro that a new device had appeared - a MacBook Pro which I did not recognise.

I immediately removed the device from my account, changed my iCloud password, passwords to banking apps, email account associated with banking etc - and I'm pretty satisfied that my account is secure. I will of course continue to monitor (as I always do) for any odd activity. There has been no suspicious activity on my account at all.

I don't understand how this can have happened. I have 2FA enabled everywhere, and any new device would have to be approved through Apple's own 2FA by verification on my iPhone or MacBook. My iCloud account has a very secure (20 character) password which is not stored anywhere online and which no one else knows.

Does anyone here have any ideas, please?

Thank you!

iPhone 15 Pro

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 11:26 AM

6 replies

Oct 17, 2024 4:23 AM in response to archchancellor

I get this occasionally, but it is because I have done something either on one of my Mac's, iPhones or iPad. Like recently trying to eliminate a backlog of old messages on iCloud I tried turning it off from iCloud for 30 days. It turned it back on and every device says a new device was added. No new device was added. You would have thought Apple would fix this.

I turn off my iPhone for 24 hours. same thing happens. I turn it back on and I get, A iPhone has been added. No it hasn't. I look at this page to see my devices https://account.apple.com/account/manage/section/devices. Nothing changes on it when ever this happens.

Oct 17, 2024 6:04 AM in response to AlWeir

AlWeir wrote:

I get this occasionally, but it is because I have done something either on one of my Mac's, iPhones or iPad. Like recently trying to eliminate a backlog of old messages on iCloud I tried turning it off from iCloud for 30 days. It turned it back on and every device says a new device was added. No new device was added. You would have thought Apple would fix this.

I turn off my iPhone for 24 hours. same thing happens. I turn it back on and I get, A iPhone has been added. No it hasn't. I look at this page to see my devices https://account.apple.com/account/manage/section/devices. Nothing changes on it when ever this happens.

Oct 17, 2024 4:05 AM in response to AlWeir

Thanks for responding!

My phone has not been switched off at all (apart from the occasional reboot) and I have not made any changes to apps, including removing the number from iMessages as you describe.

I'm super-vigilant about stuff going on with my phone and MacBook, which is why I am so puzzled about this. As far as I am aware (and I am very aware) there was no notification of this MacBook being added to my account.

Sadly I didn't take any screenshots or attempt to see where this device was located by using Find My. I just removed it from my iCloud account the instant I became aware of it.

It really is a mystery to me.

Unknown device added to iCloud account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.