You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Forgotten Password - restarting may cause other users logged into this computer to lose unsaved changes

I have a mid 2015 MacBook Pro running Big Sur that I want to use. The password has been forgotten, so I have followed the instructions to reset it using my Apple ID. It accepts the Apple ID and password and warns me that a new key chain will be created. After I accept that it pops up a screen that says "restarting may cause other users logged into this computer to lose unsaved changes" The only user logged onto the computer is the one with the forgotten password, and I can't move forward until I log on with a forgotten password.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 10:32 AM

6 replies

Oct 17, 2024 10:36 AM in response to BDAqua

There is only one user on the laptop. I'm positive that the user was logged in and simply closed the lid, put it on the shelf for several years, and forgot the password. It seems kind of stupid that you can't change the password without knowing the password. If I knew the password I wouldn't need to change it lol.

In the choice between losing some years old unsaved data vs putting the whole laptop in the E-waste bin, I'd choose losing some data.

Forgotten Password - restarting may cause other users logged into this computer to lose unsaved changes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.