You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

I cannot transfer my tapes from my Sony DCR-HC17E to my MacBook Pro 2020

I have some old tapes with vid's of my kids and would like to transfer these to my Mac.

After doing research on this challenge, I already do have:

• a firewire 4 to 9 (800) cable
  • an Apple firewire 800 to Thunderbolt connector
  • an Apple Thunderbolt to USB-C connector.

IMovie 10 does not recognize the set-up, so I cannot start import. Have switched playback on and off. Downgrading to iMovie 9 cannot be done anymore.

Anyone a clue on how to move forward? All help is appreciated. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 15.1

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 8:11 AM

10 replies

Oct 17, 2024 8:58 AM in response to BCDE

Try importing to QuickTimePlayer or using the Image Capture app on your Mac.

Try toggling your camera on and off, and getting the camera playing before starting the import.

There is still the possibility that one of the cables or adapters are defective, or that the USB-C socket is not working. Possibly the export function on the camera is not working correctly.

If you have another Mac, or a friend has one, see if you can import into that one.

-- Rich

Oct 16, 2024 1:08 PM in response to BCDE

In the link that Keith provided be sure to try the advice provided by David Ros.

No guarantee but worth a try.

" Hi. This same issue was driving me crazy, then I realized there is a privacy setting that blocks iMovie from accessing ANY "cameras" -- built-in FaceTime or a DV camcorder.

Go to System Settings => Privacy & Security => Camera, then look for iMovie in the list of apps and allow it to access the camera."

I cannot transfer my tapes from my Sony DCR-HC17E to my MacBook Pro 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.