You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

XprotectService's massive data reading slowing my computer down - Help please

XprotectService is currently insisting on reading many GB of data every bootup, which slows down the responsiveness of my computer. It gets even less responsive once the data read gets into the teens of GB. And I don’t think it's near done then, because the last time this happened, it went over 30 GB at one point. I have no idea what made it clear up last time.

Does anyone know what could cause this and/or how I can fix it?

Some info:

I am running Catalina OS. (Though I may have been running Mojave last time, not sure.)

I have tried booting into Safe Mode and it happens there, too.

I am using a secondary, non-admin account, though I have access to the admin account if needed.

I normally leave the computer on and restart daily, but I've shut it down twice today, and we had a power outage 2 days ago (luckily I think it was just on the user login screen at the time, unless it wasn't finished booting up. But the problem seems to have started today.)

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 7:22 AM

1 reply

Oct 16, 2024 7:59 PM in response to RYz

Boot into Restore mode,CMD+r keys...

Look at top of screen for Utilities menu...

In Disk Utility>View, select Show all Devices, highlight the top left entry.

Run Disk First Aid on all items in the left panel, from top down.

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

We need to see what all is running, a report from this will not display any personal info...

Using EtreCheck - Apple Community

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info. Give it Full Disk Access.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Give etrecheck Full Disk Access before running.

Thanks for Old Toad’s etrecheck instructions…

Slow iMac 2017 - Apple Community

You can use Drive DX to possibly get a better view of Drive health…

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx

XprotectService's massive data reading slowing my computer down - Help please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.