You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Tried to solve constant reboots... Continue troubleshooting or take to Apple?

I've been troubleshooting a kernel panic that keeps happening when our 2019 MacBook Pro 16" goes to sleep. Including running Apple Diagnostics which revealed no problems.

I reached the point of Erasing the hard drive in Recovery Mode and then a clean install of Monterey.

I began putting in settings for username password in iCloud and AppStore and a setting up Mail accounts.

Then had to take a break. When I came back and woke the computer, it rebooted and said it was restarted to a problem. Same as the ongoing kernel panic issue.

So, without any 3rd party software installed the problem persists, which seems like a hardware issue.

If one cannot use even the base configuration of a computer, seems there isn't much left for me to try and fix so I'm thinking of taking it to Apple.

Any other suggestions for troubleshooting?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 3:46 AM

1 reply

Oct 14, 2024 8:52 AM in response to livin1965

Most KP events are caused by hardware.

Intermittent problems are tedious and time-consuming to diagnose. From what you describe you ruled out most the usual causes (external hardware being the most common) so there is little else for you to do.

When you bring your Mac to Apple, be sure to inform them as to the intermittent nature of the problem, because they don't have unlimited amounts of time to devote to diagnosing them. They may say they tested the Mac and didn't find anything wrong, but obviously something is wrong. If they positively identify a hardware fault consider yourself fortunate.

At your option consider using your Mac for a while in "Safe Mode" Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support, and if the KP manifests while in that mode consider it a conclusive diagnosis. Conversely, if it does not manifest over a period of 24 hours (or so) defective hardware is probably not the cause... but it's a less conclusive result.

Tried to solve constant reboots... Continue troubleshooting or take to Apple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.