You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Time machine couldn't complete back up "/Library/Receipts" could not be backed up

Ventura 13.6.9 MacBookAir 15" 2023 M2

Mac HD 158.65 GB of 494.38 Used

My Passport 2 TB 914.95 GB of 2 TB used

It keeps trying to back up every hour on schedule but gives that "/Library/Receipts" could not be backed up

error message. Last back up was Oct 6

Wondering if the backup drive is going bad or something else.

Also, trying to get income taxes done before extension deadline & TurboTax makes me a bit nervous when it keeps wanting to check for updates. I thought I had already started my return but it didn't show anything. The holdup was I had to use H&R Block last year since my old mac would not run TT 2022. Now TT 2023 can't import last year so having to do all the data entry. In a previous year when it wanted to check for updates way late in season it lost my return I think it was. & I saw a comment it was still doing that.

So, I'm guessing I probably should get another back up drive. I used to trade off between 2.

Also any recommendations on backup drives?

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Oct 13, 2024 11:24 PM

5 replies

Oct 19, 2024 11:31 AM in response to KathiMR

KathiMR wrote:

Also any recommendations on backup drives?

If you're looking for one that will be easy to carry along with your MacBook Air consider the OWC (MacSales.com) OWC 1 TB Envoy Pro MINI. It's solid state and extremely fast in backing up.

If it's a bit over your budget you can consider this 1TB SSD setup at about $42 less and not quite as easy to carry around:

I use a similar setup for my desktop iMac Time Machine but portability is not an issue.

Just some food for thought.

Oct 18, 2024 3:23 PM in response to KathiMR

KathiMR wrote:

Thanks. Have been going crazy trying to get taxes filed in Turbo tax so have not had chance to get to this.

missed deadline as download of 1099 out data in wrong box & gave me error messages. & now that I figured it out. It only lets me correct 1 of the 2 affected boxes. That as I was trying to beat midnight deadline to e-file.

You can correct things as needed by going to Forms and changing things right in the Form itself. Sometimes there is a "worksheet" for a Form but if you continue to drill down you can actually change anything "manually" in TurboTax. I have to do this for my daughters business (yes, I am her tax person) and she has a small business with income in ~ 7 different states and I always have to go into the Forms directly, some of these states have cross-credit agreements (so income is not double taxed, such as California and Virginia and DC and Maryland) and in some cases have to be paper filed which means I have to do some items manually. So I know this is possible as I have to do it for her returns every year.

& also going crazy w all the passwords of the different sites & the passwords shown for them on my iPhone don’t work!
... previous year when it wanted to check for updates way late in season it lost my return

TurboTax has to check for updates because those must be downloaded and installed, otherwise the taxes computed could be incorrect, and TurboTax has a guarantee it has to back up. So Intuit requires those updates be installed. Also, in some cases, there are corrections or additions to forms, sometimes even because the IRS makes late changes. So those have to be done also. What I do is store my TurboTax files in the cloud (Dropbox) and also make Time Machine and clone backups of those files after EVERY TurboTax session. I have never heard of TurboTax "losing" files, but I have seen it sometimes start up with a blank return, in which case I simply use the File => Open menu to open the return I was working on. If you make backups after every session you can always start from a backup of the tax return file.

You can get a password manager program to manage your passwords, including on Macs and iPhones, iPads, etc. or another simple way is to keep a file that contains all your logins and passwords; of course that file has to be encrypted with a strong password that you will NEVER forget ... and it has to be backed up.

If you are in the middle of taxes, I would not make any changes to your system until everything is filed. Meanwhile, you must have backups. Either tell Time Machine to exclude the problem folder as a temporary band aid, or use a "clone" type backup, such as CCC or SuperDuper.

Please respond to BDAQUA's questions about VPN, Cleaning programs, anti-virus. Those can all poison the system and cause all kinds of odd looking symptoms.

One more thing about TurboTax. If you notice any issues with TurboTax updates stalling or otherwise acting odd, Some have reported that emptying the Trash and rebooting, followed immediately by updating TurboTax, seems to work better. But most problems with updates have to do with anti-virus or VPN or other "protection" software that interferes with internet traffic and authentication, which of course is necessary for those updates. If you have any "optimizer" or "cleaning" software like Clean My Mac or others, those have been known to zealously clean out files that are needed for Time Machine or other parts of MacOS to work properly. I hope you don't have them as they can be very hard to remove. Some have also reported that internet traffic software like Little Snitch, if configured certain ways, can interfere with app updates, so beware of those tools.

Oct 15, 2024 10:14 AM in response to KathiMR

In Disk Utility>View, select Show all Devices, highlight the top left entry.

Run Disk First Aid on all items in the left panel, from top down.

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

You can use Drive DX to possibly get a better view of Drive health…

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx

As far as drives...

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/external-storage

Could recommend more arrowly if I had more info.:)

Oct 16, 2024 4:10 PM in response to KathiMR

Thanks. Have been going crazy trying to get taxes filed in Turbo tax so have not had chance to get to this.

missed deadline as download of 1099 out data in wrong box & gave me error messages. & now that I figured it out. It only lets me correct 1 of the 2 affected boxes. That as I was trying to beat midnight deadline to e-file.

& also going crazy w all the passwords of the different sites & the passwords shown for them on my iPhone don’t work!

Time machine couldn't complete back up "/Library/Receipts" could not be backed up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.