You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to reset iMac when using macOS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)?

Hi all, I've looked on Youtube and have read here but nothing seems to be working for this particular iMac. Restarting and pressing cmd-R didn't seem to do anything. This Mac is using a Windows keyboard, so I pressed the Windows button and also put on my Apple keyboard but still I just end up at the login screen for the accounts.

iMac 5,1

Intel Core 2 Duo

MacOS 10.6.8

Any help would be appreciated.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Oct 13, 2024 10:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2024 10:38 PM

Command-R will have no effect on a Mac that is running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. The recovery partition was not introduced until 10.7 Lion.

To reset your Mac 2007 you will need to use the Mac OS X reinstall DVDs that originally shipped with that computer. They were a grey-label disc specific to the model and year of that particular computer.

If you don't have those discs, you'll need to find a copy of the retail version of 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Optionally, if the computer is running fine, you could come close to a factory reset by first creating a new user account with admin rights. Then, sign out of all other accounts, login to the new admin account and then delete the other user accounts and their data.

What are your plans for this vintage Mac?

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 13, 2024 10:38 PM in response to Hughf

Command-R will have no effect on a Mac that is running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. The recovery partition was not introduced until 10.7 Lion.

To reset your Mac 2007 you will need to use the Mac OS X reinstall DVDs that originally shipped with that computer. They were a grey-label disc specific to the model and year of that particular computer.

If you don't have those discs, you'll need to find a copy of the retail version of 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Optionally, if the computer is running fine, you could come close to a factory reset by first creating a new user account with admin rights. Then, sign out of all other accounts, login to the new admin account and then delete the other user accounts and their data.

What are your plans for this vintage Mac?

Oct 14, 2024 9:37 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

I followed your final, optional solution by creating another account and whacking everything else.

This Mac will then be given to an older person who's just writing their family history. It's too slow for me and my purposes, but perfect for an 80-year-old who doesn't want to even use a browser. :)

Thanks for the assistance.

How to reset iMac when using macOS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.