You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

What are "Extensions" and what purpose do they serve?

So I see this "Extentions" come up from time to time. What is it I'm supposed to be trying to "extend?"

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 13, 2024 9:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2024 6:20 PM

ExplainitomelikeIm2yrsold wrote:

I still do not understand the difference between the "browser" and the "search engine."

A Web browser lets you visit Web sites, like this one. A Web page may consist of a bunch of text, pictures, and codes that have to be "assembled" (by a browser) for you to interact with the Web page in the way you expect. Web pages may also contain connections to services which are running on somebody else's computer systems. (E.g., when you go to a banking site, the bank's computers may send your computer the data it needs to format Web pages, but the bank's computers control the books at all times.)

Safari, Firefox, Chrome, and Edge (on Windows PCs) are browsers.

A search engine helps you find things based on search terms. You access search engines through Web browsers, sometimes by going to a special Web page (like https://www.google.com/ ), sometimes by using search fields that a browser conveniently provides. Search engines generate results in the form of Web pages, and thus depend on browsers to show you those results.

Google and Bing are search engines.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 13, 2024 6:20 PM in response to ExplainitomelikeIm2yrsold

I still do not understand the difference between the "browser" and the "search engine."

A Web browser lets you visit Web sites, like this one. A Web page may consist of a bunch of text, pictures, and codes that have to be "assembled" (by a browser) for you to interact with the Web page in the way you expect. Web pages may also contain connections to services which are running on somebody else's computer systems. (E.g., when you go to a banking site, the bank's computers may send your computer the data it needs to format Web pages, but the bank's computers control the books at all times.)

Safari, Firefox, Chrome, and Edge (on Windows PCs) are browsers.

A search engine helps you find things based on search terms. You access search engines through Web browsers, sometimes by going to a special Web page (like https://www.google.com/ ), sometimes by using search fields that a browser conveniently provides. Search engines generate results in the form of Web pages, and thus depend on browsers to show you those results.

Google and Bing are search engines.

Oct 13, 2024 10:09 AM in response to ExplainitomelikeIm2yrsold

Depends on the context where your are seeing them:

• Browser Extensions alter the behavior of the browser
  • System Extensions alter the behavior of the system

Extensions can also be a source of trouble, as it is the developer that must update the extensions and also ensures it works correctly. For example, there are some browser extensions that will interfere with the normal loading of a web page and there are System Extensions that can conflict with the normal operation of your computer and either slow it down or cause it to crash.

Oct 13, 2024 9:56 AM in response to ExplainitomelikeIm2yrsold

Browser extensions are things that add functionality to the browser. A common example is an ad blocker. Another example is a third party password application such as 1Password.You can find other examples by opening Safari and clicking "Safari Extensions ..." in the menu item named Safari. You can download and install extensions from that menu item.

Oct 13, 2024 12:37 PM in response to ExplainitomelikeIm2yrsold

If you did not deliberately install an extension (whether it's for Safari or the Mac's operating system) then none are installed.

To "install" in this context means to provide your user name and password when they are requested, in order to permit some kind of alteration to your Mac. Whenever you are asked to provide those credentials you should know what's asking for them, and why.

Oct 14, 2024 7:01 AM in response to ExplainitomelikeIm2yrsold

In addition to Servant of Cats's excellent explanation. A browser is an application. Applications are programs that reside on your computer, such as "Mail" or "Calendar." The browser that Apple provides is called "Safari." Web browsers are used to access websites, which can be something like CNN for news, The Weather Channel or the Apple Support Communities.

Search engines are giant databases that collect information about where things are on the internet. You can then ask these search engines to find things for you. You access the search engine by going to a website with your browser. For example, you open Safari (browser) and type in www.google.com (search engine), and then you can type in your query.

In some cases, one company will offer both a browser and a search engine. For example, Google/Alphabet has a browser, Chrome, and a search engine, Google. Microsoft has a browser, Edge, and a search engine, Bing. Apple offers a browser, Safari. However, Apple does not run its own search engine.

Oct 13, 2024 10:12 AM in response to FoxFifth

What do you mean when you say "functionality?" I do not understand what you're trying to explain. Take note of my screen name, it's not meant to be humorous. You really need to explain it to me like I'm a two-year old... example: to this day I still do not understand the difference between the "browser" and the "search engine."

Oct 13, 2024 10:20 AM in response to den.thed

What extensions am I seeing? I don't know that I see any extensions. Unless something said it was specifically an "extension" to do something specific, I wouldn't know what it is. Way too many gray areas for me with this kind of stuff. Is there an "extension" that simplifies (for techno idiots like myself) how to use this, "powerful machine?"

What are "Extensions" and what purpose do they serve?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.