You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mojave OS to Catalina OS update on old Macbook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012) isn't updating

I have downloaded the Catalina update countless times. I have PLENTY of space on my hard drive and it continues to never accept the download and it won't notice it at all. It refuses to update it. I don't know what to do because a lot of things won't work if I can't update my OS. Is there something I am doing wrong?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 11:06 PM

2 replies

Oct 13, 2024 1:15 AM in response to welyhi74

Follow previous advise - First

Judging from the user's byline, the computer is currently running macOS 10.14 Mojave ?

Is Mojave the current version 10.14.6 ?

Have All the Security Updates been installed

At some point around Mojave 10.14.3 the installation may have asked you to Convert the Drive Format from HFS + Journaled to the newer APFS Drive format

Ways this done when asked ?

Starting in macOS 10.15 Catalina - the Drive Format Must be in the newer APFS format

It is possible the Installation of Catalina 10.15 is having issues converting the drive to the required new format

Refer to posting from @tbirdvet in link below

CONVERTING TO APFS - Apple Community

Oct 12, 2024 11:41 PM in response to welyhi74

Try installing in a Safe Boot...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Mojave OS to Catalina OS update on old Macbook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012) isn't updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.