You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Adding my adult daughters credit card to our Family Sharing

My adult daughter wants to add her credit card to our Family Sharing so she can make her own purchases that won’t be billed to my credit card. Can this be done and if so how? Thanks

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 7:22 PM

2 replies

Oct 12, 2024 8:16 PM in response to Simo338

No, that cannot be done at this time. How to share apps and purchases with your family - Apple Support

”When purchase sharing is turned on, everyone's purchases bill to the family organizer's payment method.”

However, she can buy Apple App Store gift cards and add them to her Apple ID to be used. “When purchase sharing is turned on, everyone's purchases bill to the family organizer's payment method.”

Oct 15, 2024 9:23 AM in response to Simo338

The short answer is only one person, the Organizer, can (and must) have a card, but the Organizer can avoid having this charged by others by asking them to make sure they have adequate personal balance (e.g., from gift cards) to cover their purchases. Other family members can only pay for things by using their personal balance or by letting the remainder automatically roll over to the Organizer's payment method (such as a credit card but not the Organizer's personal account balance).

The alternative is described in this document: Add a family member to your shared subscriptions - Apple Support

"If you're the family organizer and you don't want to pay for family members' purchases and subscriptions, you can turn off Purchase Sharing [ How to share apps and purchases with your family - Apple Support ]. When Purchase Sharing is turned off, everyone must use their own payment method. When Purchase Sharing is turned off, family members can share subscriptions, but they can't share individual purchases like apps or books."

Another alternative would be for a person to leave the family group altogether. However, a person can only join one family per year.

How to share apps and purchases with your family - Apple Support and How apps, content, and subscriptions from Apple are billed - Apple Support

Adding my adult daughters credit card to our Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.