You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How do I reset the SuperDrive on a 2007 iMac?

How do you reset the SuperDrive on a 2007 iMac?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 10:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 5:27 PM

The only possible "reset" on a SuperDrive is to change the DVD Region Code. Is this what you want to do?

The only way to change the region code is to insert a DVD that has a different region code from the code already set in your SuperDrive. Note that you can only do this 5 times; upon the 5th region code change, that code becomes permanent.

There are no other kinds of "resets" for a SuperDrive.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 12, 2024 5:27 PM in response to Mac120

The only possible "reset" on a SuperDrive is to change the DVD Region Code. Is this what you want to do?

The only way to change the region code is to insert a DVD that has a different region code from the code already set in your SuperDrive. Note that you can only do this 5 times; upon the 5th region code change, that code becomes permanent.

There are no other kinds of "resets" for a SuperDrive.

Oct 13, 2024 11:50 AM in response to Mac120

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3USD24/It sounds like there's been a malfunction of the SuperDrive and it's broken. I don't think they can be repaired as it would probably be more than their replacement cost.

I would replace it with a self powered optical drive, i.e. one with its own power source. You can get them from. OWC (MacSales.com) or Amazon.com. I recommend a drawer loading drive like this one or this one from OWC.. I strongly recommend the one from OWC which is currently on sale for $30. I have an older version of the same unit which I've used for ripping audiobooks primarily. It's very fast and reliable.

Oct 13, 2024 10:59 AM in response to MartinR

Thanks for your reply. I am having a problem with the Superdrive in my 2007 iMac. There is a metal tab that seems to be preventing me from inserting a disc into the SuperDrive when I start the mac i can hear the drive click and wirl but the metal tab seems to reposition itself so it is preventing me from inserting a disc.

I thought if there was a way to reset the SuperDrive that i might be able to reposition the tab so it is no longer blocking access to the drive. I think the tab is there to prevent the insertion of a disc if there is a disc already in the drive. I fount a video on YouTube that shows how to remove the drive from the iMac and using some AA batteries advancing the motor that controls the TAB to move it out of the way.

It's just a lot of work and i was hoping there was another way short of buying an external USB drive.

Thanks for your quick reply I really do appreciate it.

Oct 13, 2024 11:05 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks to all who replied.

I am having a problem with the Superdrive in my 2007 iMac. There is a metal tab that seems to be preventing me from inserting a disc into the SuperDrive when I start the mac i can hear the drive click and whirl but the metal tab seems to reposition itself so it is preventing me from inserting a disc.

I was there was a way to reset this tab without having to remove it from the iMac.

thanks for your prompt reply.

I think its time to break out my tools :)

Oct 13, 2024 12:03 PM in response to Mac120

There is a metal tab that seems to be preventing me from inserting a disc into the SuperDrive

Confirming Old Toad's diagnosis. Many slot-load iMacs had a "fence" feature that deployed if the drive failed catastrophically. It prevented users from stuffing disk after disk into a non-salvageable drive.

You drive, for all practical purposes, is not recoverable if the fence deploys. Go external. Were I in this situation, I would buy the exact model the our Wise Toad recommends.

How do I reset the SuperDrive on a 2007 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.