You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Want to buy with my own money while in a family sharing plan

I wanted to purchase an in game event item that cost real money. I am an adult and have my own money. I have cards set up in the Apple wallet. I have bought things with my own money before. But when true to purchase this it needs a verification code from the head person of the family sharing account and wants to charge him for the purchase. I want to buy it with my own money but it won’t let me. It does show any of the debit/credit cards I have only his account. Why can’t I buy with my own money?

iPhone 14, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 9:51 AM

2 replies

Oct 12, 2024 9:58 AM in response to Mash297

If the Organizer has Purchase Sharing turned on, then charges are billed to the Organizer's payment method. You can add money to your Apple Account using a Gift Card and any purchase will first come from you Apple Account and only the remainder will be billed to the Organizer's card. With Purchase Sharing, the Organizer must have a valid payment method.

How to share apps and purchases with your family - Apple Support

Oct 12, 2024 9:10 PM in response to Mash297

Based on: How to share apps and purchases with your family - Apple Support and How apps, content, and subscriptions from Apple are billed - Apple Support

1. If anybody in the family buys or subscribes to something, Apple first attempts to charge the item to that individual's Apple Account (Apple ID) balance, if any.

2. If a family member does not have enough personal Apple Account balance, any excess will be charged to the Family Organizer's primary payment method (usually a card of some kind). The Organizer's personal balance will not be used for purchases made by other family members. If Apple cannot bill the primary payment method, the Organizer will need to make another payment method the primary method. With Family Sharing the Organizer always has to have at least one functioning payment method.

Also note: "Some purchases, including gifts, can't be billed to Apple ID balance and will be charged to the family organizer's payment method." "Some subscriptions might not be charged to Apple ID balance."

Ref:

- Family purchases and payments - How to share apps and purchases with your family - Apple Support

- How apps, content, and subscriptions from Apple are billed - How apps, content, and subscriptions from Apple are billed - Apple Support

- Check your Apple ID balance - Check your Apple Account balance - Apple Support

- Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Add a payment method to your Apple Account - Apple Support

Adding funds to your Apple ID balance:

- How to redeem your Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes gift card - Apple Support

- Add money to your Apple Account balance - Apple Support

Want to buy with my own money while in a family sharing plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.