You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

2015 Imac and 2024 macbook air, can i screencast to the imac from macbook?

Hi there I have 2015 imac that still works but I want to be able to use it as a monitor to my 2024 MacBook pro?

Can I get this to work and what cable would I need?

iMac 24″, macOS 14.3

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 5:48 AM

1 reply

Oct 12, 2024 12:42 PM in response to cp1390

No.

Your 2015 iMac is too new to support Target Display Mode – and even if it did, Apple added restrictions on the video source that mean that your MacBook Air is too new to use ANY iMac as a Target Display.

Reference: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Your 2015 iMac is too old to act as an AirPlay Receiver for AirPlay to Mac, a much lower-quality connection method.

Reference: Continuity features and requirements for Apple devices - Apple Support

There may be third-party applications that you can buy for the 2015 iMac that would let you AirPlay to it. Whether the results would be satisfactory for your purposes is something that I don't know. There may also be some other workaround products like Duet Display (a "subscription" program for which you have to keep paying every month) or Luna Display.

2015 Imac and 2024 macbook air, can i screencast to the imac from macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.