You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Disconnecting of MB air external storage when entering display menu on Samsung S9 display

Funny, I'm going to ask question about samsung 5K monitor on apple forum) But it is viewsonic S9 and it is connected to MacBook air so it looks quite typical set up for mac users.

So,

MacBook connected to external display Samsung S9 via Thunderbolt 4 cable.

External storage Lacie Rugged is connected to external display via USB-C in order to make time machine backup. MacBook sees Lacie , everything work great until I enter display menu on samsung.

In that moment display becomes black for a second and when I exit menu I see message that external storage was disconnected incorrectly. If I wait- it will reconnects.

Of course I can solve an issue by connecting of Lacie to MacBook directly - but it means an extra cable on the table and no spare ports on MacBook....

I contacted samsung support - I should better ask someone on the street... issue is not fixed.

Any hints?

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 4:18 AM

1 reply

Oct 18, 2024 11:54 AM in response to 7geck7

I have an update.

I tried to connect another HDD - the same result.

I tried to connect different laptop - the same result.

External HDDs that connected to external display gets disconnected as soon as I enter display's menu.

As soon as I exit menu - HDDs connect again.

Does anyone use Samsung Viewfinity S9 with external HDD connected to display?

Any disconnects when entering display's menu?

Disconnecting of MB air external storage when entering display menu on Samsung S9 display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.