You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How can I identify what is slowing down my iMac?

My iMac 27" is running pretty slow lately. I empty the caches on the browsers and get rid of trash and junk emails. What else can I do to speed up my Mac?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 14.7

Posted on Oct 11, 2024 1:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2024 1:37 PM

The slowdown could be caused by anything from an unintentional malware installation to a hardware bottleneck or failure. Some things are fairly easy to fix.

Please run an EtreCheck evaluation of your Mac and post the generated report back here in a reply. EtreCheck is a safe and highly regarded utility from a trusted developer and respected ASC contributor. The diagnostic report will not include any personal info. It simply gathers specifics about hardware performance and installed software that might be in conflict with the OS.

Please navigate to EtreCheck.com and download the free version. Be sure to Allow Full Disk Access when you install the app. Once you’ve run the app and created your report please post it with your reply to this message. 

Please note you must upload the full report. To see how, please click >  How to use Add Text when posting… EtreCheck Report.

We can use your EtreCheck report to look for the things that may be causing your problem and advise how to correct them.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2024 1:37 PM in response to Mucksiegooma

The slowdown could be caused by anything from an unintentional malware installation to a hardware bottleneck or failure. Some things are fairly easy to fix.

Please run an EtreCheck evaluation of your Mac and post the generated report back here in a reply. EtreCheck is a safe and highly regarded utility from a trusted developer and respected ASC contributor. The diagnostic report will not include any personal info. It simply gathers specifics about hardware performance and installed software that might be in conflict with the OS.

Please navigate to EtreCheck.com and download the free version. Be sure to Allow Full Disk Access when you install the app. Once you’ve run the app and created your report please post it with your reply to this message. 

Please note you must upload the full report. To see how, please click >  How to use Add Text when posting… EtreCheck Report.

We can use your EtreCheck report to look for the things that may be causing your problem and advise how to correct them.

How can I identify what is slowing down my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.