You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How do I change icons for external drives in Ventura?

I've been a Mac user for >20 years. Now I'm a senior I like to keep things simple and familiar – with specific icons for each external drive, which have colour names. So "White Box" has a white icon, "Red Box" has a red icon etc – which makes them easy to identify.

For years I've done the familiar "Get Info" copy and paste routine. But this doesn't work any longer.

So now I have half a dozen identical gold / yellow icons – and have to double-check the names each time.

What's going on? Is there a workround?

I saw an app called something like Icon Champ but couldn't really work out what it was trying to do.

Help!

Ken in Liverpool

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.7

Posted on Oct 11, 2024 4:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 9:11 AM

Hello Ken! It does still work, but I´ve found it only seems to do so when you use the Preview app (it´s there, pre-installed on your Mac!). 

So, open whichever graphic you wish to use for an icon in the Preview app, and “Select All” from the menu.

Then select “Copy” from the same menu.

Now do the usual “Get Info” and paste routine on the icon you want to change…it should work!

For some reason I´ve found that when selecting all and copying in Preview it´s best to use Preview´s menu, not the keyboard! Don´t ask me why! Hope this helps you! Cheer, Ian.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 16, 2024 9:11 AM in response to welsbywrites

Hello Ken! It does still work, but I´ve found it only seems to do so when you use the Preview app (it´s there, pre-installed on your Mac!). 

So, open whichever graphic you wish to use for an icon in the Preview app, and “Select All” from the menu.

Then select “Copy” from the same menu.

Now do the usual “Get Info” and paste routine on the icon you want to change…it should work!

For some reason I´ve found that when selecting all and copying in Preview it´s best to use Preview´s menu, not the keyboard! Don´t ask me why! Hope this helps you! Cheer, Ian.

How do I change icons for external drives in Ventura?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.