You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How do I consolidate iTunes files with an external drive?

Consolidated Itunes on old computer. Moved to external drive. Moved from external drive to new computer . Only way I can play songs is to have external drive plugged in. I got a response to move to internal drive on PC Told to consolidate files again and move to internal drive . Do I consolidate with external plugged in or not? I can not find anywhere when googling how to transfer to internal drive on PC or how to access internal drive I need more details

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 10, 2024 5:23 AM

2 replies

Oct 18, 2024 3:45 AM in response to 2265-

To add to the tips javaliga has suggested to you:

2265- wrote:

... Only way I can play songs is to have external drive plugged in.

In that case, you did not copy (rather than "move") the songs from one place to another. What you have probably done is tell iTunes to add the location of the files "on the external drive".

In other words, you've told iTunes to always use the copy located on the external drive. What needs to happen is that you copy the files (again, not move) that are on the external drive to your computer and then tell iTunes to add the copy on the computer to its library.

How do I consolidate iTunes files with an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.