You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Desktop and Documents in iCloud Drive Confusion

I'm trying to understand the convoluted way Apple handle storing your Desktop and/or Documents folders in iCloud Drive. I DONT want to use this feature, but the UI is so confusing its not clear what is going on.

There are TWO dialogs in System Settings (macOS Sequoia 15.0.1) that seem to overlap and contradict:

(A) Settings > (your Apple Account name) > iCloud > Drive > Desktop & Documents Folders

I have this toggle OFF (as I want it), and the description seems pretty clear. Good, that's what I want.

(B) Settings > General > Storage > Store in iCloud .. > Desktop and Documents

When I open the Store in iCloud dialog it (confusingly) has this setting ON, which SEEMS to contradict the setting in iCloud Drive. The dialog has a nasty looking "Store in iCloud" button, but I've never clicked this (I always choose Cancel). But it's incredibly confusing that the toggle is ON in this dialog and OFF in the iCloud section.

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two settings. The docs are unclear, as are Apples support docs. From what I can see on my Mac and iCloud Drive, my Documents etc folders are NOT being copied to iCloud (which is what I want), but that second dialog worries me. Why is the checkbox ON?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 9, 2024 3:23 PM

2 replies

Oct 9, 2024 5:51 PM in response to Tim Hill1

Yes, those settings are confusing. I believe, in the case of (B), you would have to click the "Store in iCloud" button to have the selected options ("Desktop and Documents", "Photos" and/or "Messages") change your settings in (A).

Here are my settings and I do not use "Desktop and Documents iCloud":

(A)

(B)

Note that I never clicked the "Store in iCloud" button and I do not intend to do so.

Oct 10, 2024 1:28 PM in response to 6x6

Thanks for the reply, and yes that was my conclusion. The (B) dialog is a dark pattern imho, and unusual for Apple. The toggles are not "what is the state of X", they are "if you select these and click the "Store in iCloud" button, we will make the changes to do this". I give Apple 2/10 on that particular dialog.

Desktop and Documents in iCloud Drive Confusion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.