You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

APFS formatted SSD with iphone 16 pro max

I have External SSDs formatted with APFS. Works great on my M2 ipad pro and M1 Max Macbook pro. Is not recognized on my iphone 16 pro max. Has anyone tried this combination? I wonder if it could have anything to do with that fact that on the iphone it is only USB-C 3.2 and not Thunderbolt compatible. Or something with the iPhone's chip itself. I have already reported this to apple a long time ago.

iPhone 16 Pro Max, iOS 18

Posted on Oct 9, 2024 1:35 PM

8 replies

Oct 18, 2024 12:06 PM in response to Barryt315

hmm works for me as expected. I just AirDropped a 2.3 GB iPhone 16 Pro ProRes 422 .mov from Mac mini 2018 to iPad Air Photos. I formatted a SanDisk thumb drive as APFS on the Mac. And then successfully connected the thumb drive to the iPad via its USB-C end and copied the .mov to the thumb drive's Files (took about a minute), the Mac also saw the .mov when the thumb drive was connected to it.

Oct 18, 2024 11:33 AM in response to Matti Haveri

The SSD in question is a Kingston SSD NV3 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 in a Sabrent enclosure. I just bought it and initialized it for APFS. It works great on my 2017 iMac. It connects to the iPhone 16 pro max and lets me transfer files to the SSD, I just can't write directly to it using pro res video unless it is reformatted, or so the message states. I have another SSD, a Glyph that is Mac OS Extended and I can write directly to that SSD from the iPhone.

I would prefer to use APFS between my iMac and phone since it is the fastest. Thanks!

Oct 18, 2024 12:18 PM in response to Matti Haveri

I can connect the APFS SSD to the iPhone and move my video files onto it, but what I wanted to do was record pro res video directly to the ssd in real time. But it says I need exFat in order to do that. Whereas I can record video to the Glyph Mac OS extended no problem. Weird. I might try and reformat the drive for APFS again, since its new and has no data and see if it allows me to record onto it.

APFS formatted SSD with iphone 16 pro max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.