You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How do you turn off continue playing in Podcasts player in iOS 18?

I am differently-abled . (I don't have use of right arm/hand and poor motor skills in left hand.) The iOS 18 version of the Podcasts app automatically starts playing its own choices of podcasts downloaded to my iPhone or iPad through the Continued Playing function built into the App. I cannot turn it off either through the app or through Settings. (Yes, the continue playing option is set to off, but that does not stop the App from randomly (?) deciding that I want to continue listening to other podcasts. Please note, too, that this problem is NOT associated with creating my own queue. Worse, unlike the queue, which I can clear with one click on 'clear all', I have to delete each individual podcast on the Continue Playing list.

For someone with additional poor hand-eye coordination and spinal cord problems in my neck, I have to engage in a painful 5 to 10 minutes of clearing the Continue playing list -- one that I did not create and do not want. Worse still, if I fall asleep (often happens with the meds I am on), the app plays through its own "continued playing list, I then have to hunt for the ones that were played and re-download them and change their status to unplayed. More clicks, more needless painful activities that could be avoided if Apple engineers had thought through how this app was updated.

I have tried to notify Apple of the problem, but from the radio silence of the company, I can only surmise that it doesn't care. Does anyone have a work-around? Can you contact AppleCare on behalf of differently-abled customers (including me) and ask Apple to address this problem as quickly as possible? Thank you

iPad Pro, iPadOS 18

Posted on Oct 8, 2024 10:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2024 12:22 PM

There are major bugs in the 18 version of this app across iPhones and iPads as you know if you mark continuous playback off, it still continuously plays, even if you toggle the option on and off, it does not fix the major bug. It also drops episodes into the podcast player and instantly marks it as played even if you didn’t play it therefore, if you choose a different episode and that gets loaded into the player, the previous unplayed episode will disappear. This version of the podcast app is extremely buggy. Nothing has been fixed, and it is super frustrating that these major usability bugs have made it to a final release of the app. If you do a search about 18.1 and if the podcast app has been fixed, it seems that these major bugs have not been addressed, one can only hope that when 18.1 is released these major usability bugs are fixed.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2024 12:22 PM in response to PaulArpaia

There are major bugs in the 18 version of this app across iPhones and iPads as you know if you mark continuous playback off, it still continuously plays, even if you toggle the option on and off, it does not fix the major bug. It also drops episodes into the podcast player and instantly marks it as played even if you didn’t play it therefore, if you choose a different episode and that gets loaded into the player, the previous unplayed episode will disappear. This version of the podcast app is extremely buggy. Nothing has been fixed, and it is super frustrating that these major usability bugs have made it to a final release of the app. If you do a search about 18.1 and if the podcast app has been fixed, it seems that these major bugs have not been addressed, one can only hope that when 18.1 is released these major usability bugs are fixed.

How do you turn off continue playing in Podcasts player in iOS 18?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.