You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Desktop and Downloads folders are not accessible via file sharing

I finally solved a problem I was having where viewing the Desktop and the Downloads folders via file sharing was not working. Specifically, my home directory contents would correctly show up, but if I drilled down to either Desktop or Downloads on the remote computer, the directories would show up as empty. Attempting any operation on the directories would fail. I could find nothing misconfigured on those dirs, and iCloud was disabled on the source computer. Eventually, I found that my user on the source computer had an AFPUserAliases entry set (found this via Directory Utility, which you can open from a button in Sharing). Once this was deleted, Desktop and Downloads were correctly served to the remote. I have no idea how the AFPUserAliases entry showed up -- it may have been the result of some long ago action in a prior version of MacOS on the source computer. Remote was running Ventura, source was running Monterey.

Posted on Oct 7, 2024 2:58 PM

2 replies

Desktop and Downloads folders are not accessible via file sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.