You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

backup external hard drive with iCloud

Hi. I live between two countries. I use LRC to edit photos in my Mac.

The actual photos are kept in an external hard drive that travels with me from country to country.

I would like to sync them to iCloud so that I don't need to move the actual hard drive from country to country. Is that possible?

Thank you.

Patricia

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 7, 2024 10:14 AM

2 replies

Oct 7, 2024 11:41 AM in response to patricia i.

If I understand correctly, then you can. You can't use a Photos Library in iCloud Drive-- Photos Libraries have to be directly connected. But you can put pictures in a folder and drag that folder to the iCloud Drive folder. In Sequoia (but not earlier) you can designate that folder in iCloud Drive be "removed" from your Mac, so that it exists only in iCloud.

Keep Downloaded ensures that a folder or file won't be taken off the Mac, and there's a new icon for that. "Remove Download" keeps the folder or file in iCloud but not on the Mac-- until you need it.

I don't really use the cloud storage for Lightroom Classic, so I don't know how LRc would deal with that.

It may also be true that some countries have restrictions on this sort of thing. There are some crazy political things. As an example, I looked it up, and, unsurprisingly, iCloud can't be used in Iran.

Oct 20, 2024 7:49 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

Thank you so much, Richard.

So, with your suggestion I would NOT have to travel with my hard drives, which would be great. I would instead, download photos from the cloud and import them into Lightroom for editing. Right.

What I am not clear about is how would LR connect with the cloud to allow for the photos to be edited. Is this possible?

backup external hard drive with iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.