You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPhone 16 Pro Photos app crashing

I just bought the new iPhone 16 Pro last 2 weeks ago and for the last 3 days the Photos application keeps crashing.

I open it and not even after a second, it crashes and automatically shuts down. After I turn my phone off then on, the app opens once and I can scroll inside the album, but it just crashes once I open it again.

I tried even the forceful reset but it’s not working.

anyone has the same problem?

iPhone 16 Pro, iOS 18

Posted on Oct 7, 2024 8:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2024 3:13 PM

Certainly. Happy to update you. An hour before the appointment, the camera appeared to be working properly. However, I did keep the appointment. The very helpful Apple employee ran all of their diagnostics and the phone passed. The employee did say no guaranty it is fixed, so please come back potentially for a phone swap. She did say maybe it will be necessary to do a reset. I am trying to avoid that since my set up took half a day plus re-entering passwords etc.

Later that day, the problem came back and has been intermittent since. Today, a friend told me to clear the safari browser history which I did. I tried using it multiple times today and so far it is working correctly. I am hopeful there was something conflicting with the camera. I have a ton of unused storage.

I upgraded from a 12 Pro and set up the 16 Pro with the side by side method. I never had this issue with the 12 Pro, but potentially something went wrong in the set up/transfer.

If it acts up again, I probably will need to do the reset and eat up hours again, but hoping not.

Hope this is helpful.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2024 3:13 PM in response to DizzyGGT1612

Certainly. Happy to update you. An hour before the appointment, the camera appeared to be working properly. However, I did keep the appointment. The very helpful Apple employee ran all of their diagnostics and the phone passed. The employee did say no guaranty it is fixed, so please come back potentially for a phone swap. She did say maybe it will be necessary to do a reset. I am trying to avoid that since my set up took half a day plus re-entering passwords etc.

Later that day, the problem came back and has been intermittent since. Today, a friend told me to clear the safari browser history which I did. I tried using it multiple times today and so far it is working correctly. I am hopeful there was something conflicting with the camera. I have a ton of unused storage.

I upgraded from a 12 Pro and set up the 16 Pro with the side by side method. I never had this issue with the 12 Pro, but potentially something went wrong in the set up/transfer.

If it acts up again, I probably will need to do the reset and eat up hours again, but hoping not.

Hope this is helpful.

Oct 18, 2024 6:23 AM in response to Summer2618

I posted that I thought my phone was fixed. Unfortunately the problem returned. Yesterday, Apple replaced the phone. So far, no issues with the swap.

In addition to the camera shut down issue, I did encounter one situation where the original 16 pro simply crashed during a call and another where the phone just got very hot. Decided then to return for a 2nd time to an Apple store.

For anyone having the same problem, go to an Apple store if you can or the carrier and ask for a swap. Apple diagnostics again said everything was fine, but it was obviously not fine.

iPhone 16 Pro Photos app crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.