You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Pages couldn’t read the file after the update to Sequoia

Hi there, after I updated my Mac to Sequoia, I can no longer open my Pages files, both old and new. The message that appears is always the same: "Pages couldn’t read the file. You can try restoring to a previous version," but it shows no previous version when I try to restore it.

At first, I thought it was a problem related to the app, since I can easily open all my Pages files from my iPhone and iPad. So, I tried deleting and reinstalling the app on my Mac, but that didn’t change anything.

Since I can open the files on my Mac if I send them from my iPhone or iPad, I tried that method, and everything was fine—until I installed the latest Sequoia update. The problem returned, and now I'm unable to open the new files I created after the first update.

Has anyone else faced this problem with the new MacOS updates, or does anyone know how to solve it?

Posted on Oct 7, 2024 7:18 AM

4 replies

Oct 7, 2024 8:13 AM in response to eli_emme

eli_emme wrote:

Yes, I have Pages 14.2, reinstalled it just today, and no, I've never used google drive or microsoft one drive to stored Pages documents; I only use iCloud. That’s why I don’t understand what kind of issue this could be.

And, neither do I. What have you installed lately besides the Pages reinstallation (which would make no difference)?

Pages couldn’t read the file after the update to Sequoia

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.