You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Unable to resize Events list in iMovie—Media tab

Hello

I'm running iMovie 10.3.8 on Monterey and am encountering the behaviour described in this 2023 post — with iMovie either filling the screen or in Full Screen it is impossible to resize the list of Events when one is in the Media tab. However, it is possible to resize the Events list when one is in a Project.

As noted in the post above, the Events list when in the Media tab can be resized if the app window is roughly 2/3 of the screen height.

I have noticed that there is a similar behaviour when in a Project. Then, the possibility to resize the Events list is affected by the size of the preview window. When the preview is resized such that it approx. 2/3 of the window height, the events list shrinks and becomes impossible to resize.

I see a link between this behaviour and the Event list's behaviour in the Media tab because in the latter the preview window is always maximised; I find no way to resize the preview window in the Media tab.

I've tried trashing the iMovie preferences without luck, and would appreciate any thoughts on how to solve this.

Thanks in advance

Philip

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 7, 2024 4:49 AM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2024 9:20 AM in response to pullman

Hi,

I can't add anything more than my comments in the 1923 thread link that you posted.

My findings with my older version of iMovie 10 confirm yours. I think that the app is just designed that way.

The only reason one would need to resize the events list pane is if some of the event titles were being truncated. A workaround would be to keep your event titles under 15 characters, and that would prevent them from being truncated when the events list pane cannot be resized.

Or, you could toggle from larger to smaller display when needing to view the entirety of a long events title.

-- Rich

Oct 7, 2024 9:57 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks for the reply Rich. I had hoped that there somehow had been some progress on this.

Yes what you say would be a way around this exceptionally poor window-pane implementation, but it won't work for me unfortunately due to the naming scheme I use for my events.

Your comment about toggling to a smaller display made me try moving the iMovie window to my second screen.I I then discovered another limiting feature of iMovie, which is that there is a limit to how narrow the window can be made. I have two screens (both full HD screens), one of which is placed vertically. Because the iMovie window cannot be made narrower than roughly 2/3 of the width of the horizontal screen, it will not fully fit on the vertical screen. Instead a chunk of the window will be hidden in the gap between the displays.

Unable to resize Events list in iMovie—Media tab

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.