You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can’t install Yosemite on old mac

I have recently purchased an older Mac, which was erased before being sold. I tried to install Yosemite from reinstall os option, it’s asking for Apple ID and password, then after putting my Apple ID and password, an error message pops up, The server gave an error due download. 403 Forbidden. Then I purchased a bootable OS X flash drive. When I am starting up the Mac with the flash drive inserted, holding the option key, two options are coming up. Recovery and an orange Efi boot. Selecting the efi boot is again taking me to reinstall, help, recovery and disc utility options. Then the same thing is happening . Apple ID password and then the error. It’s not installing OS X. Could you please help me regarding this.

Thanks

Prabuddha

Posted on Oct 5, 2024 10:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2024 12:59 PM

It sounds to me like the Mac wasn't properly prepared for sale and is still activation-locked to the previous owner. Absent any other suggestions here, I'd suggest taking it back where you bought it and either get them to help you install macOS and get it running, or get your money back.

Regards.

2 replies

Oct 7, 2024 11:05 AM in response to prabuddha162

If you go back to the seller make sure they prepare it for sale according to this Apple document: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support  

Otherwise you'll have problems ever getting it to work correctly.

The best course to take would be to get your money back and get a refurbished one from Apple or OWC (MacSales.com) also used thru OWC. Apple gives a new machine warranty and OWC a 3 month warranty.

Can’t install Yosemite on old mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.